TikTok certainly has its fair share of dance videos aimed at teens and tweens, but lawyers are also using the platform to reach their target audiences. You can hardly blame them when you consider the fact TikTok has more than one billion users.
TikTok offers law firms an innovative platform to reach and engage with potential clients in a way that traditional marketing channels might not. By embracing TikTok’s unique format and harnessing its viral potential, law firms can effectively communicate their expertise, build brand awareness and connect with a wider audience.
Below, PMP explains why TikTok is a marketing opportunity that may be worth your time and effort. We discuss how the platform works, the benefits and how to measure the success of your marketing efforts.
If you have questions about marketing your firm on social media, or you are looking for ways to reach more potential clients via traditional or digital marketing, we may be able to help you. Contact us to learn how we may be able to help you develop a custom marketing solution.
Should My Law Firm Be on TikTok?
While TikTok may seem like a far cry from other social media platforms used by law firms, it can offer several compelling benefits:
- Reaching a wider, more diverse audience: TikTok has a vast user base that extends well beyond Generation Z. This presents a unique opportunity for law firms to reach potential clients who may not be accessible through traditional marketing channels.
- Building brand awareness: TikTok’s format encourages the sharing of content, increasing the chances of posts going viral. A well-crafted, engaging TikTok video can significantly boost your firm’s visibility, establishing your brand in the minds of a broader audience.
- Engaging with clients in a relatable manner: The platform’s emphasis on authenticity and storytelling allows law firms to present a more approachable and relatable image. This can help in building trust and rapport with potential clients who might find lawyers and law firms to be intimidating.
- Educational outreach: TikTok is an excellent medium for demystifying legal concepts and sharing knowledge in a concise, engaging way. This positions your firm as a helpful and knowledgeable authority in the field, which can be instrumental in attracting clients when they need a lawyer.
- Cost-effective marketing: Compared to traditional marketing avenues, TikTok can be a more budget-friendly option. You do not necessarily need to invest a significant amount of money to create content that can be seen by a wide audience.
- Competitive advantage: TikTok is still a newer platform, so the firms that get on board early may have a competitive advantage. Posting on TikTok also shows your firm’s willingness to innovate and adapt. Potential clients who see this may be more likely to contact your firm, as they may feel more confident in your ability to manage their unique case.
- Detailed analytics: TikTok provides robust analytics tools, allowing firms to gain insights into their audience’s behaviors and preferences. This data is invaluable for tailoring your content and strategy to meet the needs and interests of your target audience.
- Networking and collaborations: The platform fosters a sense of community and collaboration, offering opportunities to connect with other professionals, influencers and potential clients. These connections can open new avenues for expanding your law firm’s brand and potentially gaining more clients.
How Does TikTok Work?
TikTok uses a sophisticated algorithm to determine what videos are shown to users. The algorithm prioritizes user interaction, including likes, comments, shares and the amount of time people watch a video.
Interactive elements, like asking questions or addressing common legal misconceptions, can prompt viewers to engage with your content.
Law firms should use relevant and trending hashtags, as well as descriptive captions, to make their content more likely to be discovered. Incorporating popular sounds or music is another way to encourage user engagement.
TikTok’s algorithm places a lot of emphasis on the first few seconds of a video. To capitalize on that, law firms need to ensure that the first few seconds of their content are captivating to keep users watching.
Even though the first few seconds are incredibly important, TikTok’s algorithm favors videos that are watched from beginning to end. Creating shorter, more engaging content that encourages viewers to watch the entire video can increase your law firm’s visibility.
Getting your law firm’s content onto users’ “For You” pages can massively boost your visibility. This requires creating content that resonates with your target audience and adheres to the factors mentioned above.
What Are the Secrets to Success For Law Firms on TikTok?
There are several keys to success for law firms that post on TikTok:
Law firms must identify the segments of TikTok’s user base that align with their legal services. Tailor your content to address the needs and interests of these specific groups.
Law firms need to make videos that are informative and approachable. For example, you could make a video about what a day is like for a lawyer or debunk common myths about filing personal injury claims. Your videos also need to be visually appealing and concise.
Authenticity resonates with TikTok users. Showcasing the human aspect of your firm, whether through client testimonials, lawyer profiles, or glimpses of daily office life, helps build a connection with your audience.
Your posts can help demystify legal jargon and processes. Short videos that answer common legal queries or provide quick legal tips can be highly effective.
Engagement is not just about posting videos. Actively responding to comments, participating in relevant challenges, and engaging with other users’ content can significantly boost your presence.
New content is often given priority on TikTok. That means law firms should maintain a regular posting schedule to ensure their content has a better chance of being seen. Develop a content calendar to ensure a steady stream of posts.
Videos that highlight your firm’s values, client-focused approach, and community involvement can enhance your brand.
Sharing client testimonials on TikTok can be a powerful way to illustrate your firm’s impact. Real stories of how your firm has helped clients can be both compelling and convincing.
Legal Insights and Updates
Stay relevant by sharing insights into recent legal changes or high-profile cases. This positions your firm as a knowledgeable and up-to-date source of legal information.
How Can Law Firms Track the Success of Their TikTok Posts?
TikTok’s built-in analytics tool provides a comprehensive overview of your account’s performance. It offers detailed insights into your audience’s demographics, content performance and trends. Law firms can use this data to understand their audience better and tailor their content accordingly.
The most basic metric is the number of views a post receives. This gives a direct indication of how many people your content is reaching. However, it is important to also consider reach, which shows how far beyond your followers your content is being seen.
Law firms also need to review engagement, which includes:
High engagement rates often indicate that content is resonating with the audience.
Tracking follower growth can indicate the effectiveness of your content in attracting a steady audience.
Watch time and completion rate are crucial metrics for understanding how captivating your content is. If users are watching your videos to the end, it suggests that your content is engaging and relevant.
If you are looking to drive website traffic or inquiries, you need to set up conversion tracking. By linking your TikTok account with tracking tools on your website, you can monitor how effectively your TikTok content is converting viewers into potential clients.
Setting Specific Goals
Set specific, measurable goals for your TikTok activity, such as converting a certain number of users or having a specific engagement rate. Regularly compare your performance against these goals to see how effective your posts are.
While TikTok can be an effective standalone platform, it delivers the best results when it is integrated into a broader digital marketing strategy. This could involve cross-promoting content across other social media platforms, embedding TikTok videos on your website, or using insights gained from TikTok to inform your broader marketing approach.
If you are looking to expand your social media marketing efforts on TikTok or other platforms, contact PMP to find out how we can assist you. We specialize in crafting custom marketing strategies to help law firms meet their unique goals. Our mission is to help you grow your firm in an ever-changing legal marketing landscape.